Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey
- Maintain meditation and workout routine
- Maintain practice of fermenting and sprouting
- Increase involvement in cropshare initiatives
- Maintain guitar practice routine
- Start practising Kung Fu
- Participate in a sailing turn
- Participate in another forest retreat
- Participate in a sweat lodge
Project Goals 2021
Long Term Goals
- Grow a garden
- Grow mushrooms
- Grow vegetables
- Live closer to and with nature
- Become more independent of large, corporate structures
- Become more self reliant
- Need less money
- Decrease dependence on fossil fuels
- Focus efforts on public welfare
- Create art and tools that contribute in positive ways
- Increase work with open-source tools
Projects on hold
- Build a nori frame
- Build a manual flashlight
review 2021Reviewing 2021.
2021 was defined by learning experiences, personal growth and building habits that mitigate the waves of changes and challenges that rolled over my life in the recent years. Within stereotypical proximity to the mid of my life expectancy, several events converged to uncover new and old ideas, values and goals that set me on a trajectory for the next part of my life.
Chasing after new goals, I tend to loose sight of the things that are already there. Deliberate practices cultivating a mindset focused on appreciation of the presence helped me retain a much needed balance. After years of physical, mental and spiritual neglection I was able to shift more towards these aspects by building and maintaining a daily routine, continuing therapy and participating in retreats devoted to personal growth. Meditation and physical exercise noticeably slowed down a perceived deterioration and considerably improved my constitution. Furthermore it enabled me to re-gain healthier sleeping patterns after many years of battling insomnia and other sleeping related maladies.
I met a Kung Fu master who runs a dojo in Vienna. After a first lession I decided that I want to pick up the training again and plan to integrate it in my weekly schedule.
In an effort to find alternative ways of consuming and producing, I joined three solidarity initiatives late this year and I'm looking forward to cultivating my engagement in the coming season.
Switching to a full vegetarian diet in 2020, I started experimenting with fermentation, pickling and sprouting, yielding largely positive results. The experiments shall continue next year.
Reading is another habit that I picked up again and Project Gutenberg has become one of my most valued resources. I have an old e-ink reader that after modding and jailbraiking became a favorite device.
Favorites books include The Cyberiad (Stanislav Lem), How to do Nothing (Jenny Odell) and surprisingly Iphigenie auf Tauris (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe).
Professionally I'm closing in on the release of a new Broken Rules game project that I have been working on since early 2019. It was a long and challenging one and I am looking forward finally getting it out. While I am very proud of what the team achieved, I think it's save to say that I don't want to work on game projects of this magnitude in the forseeable future. Instead, I would like to focus my digital efforts on projects with less complexity and resource demand.
Plans on the house have been slowly but continually developed over the year. With any luck, we finally start building in 2022. It's going to be an exciting year!
- Submited the release candidate of a new Broken Rules game.
- Learned programming C by porting the nchrs website generator.
- Paper-prototyped a turn-based dungeon crawler currently titled sinpin.
- Learned programming LUA by implementing sinpin in Löve2D.
- Finished plans for a house.
- Switched to feature phone.
- Switched to a paper calendar.
- Switched to khal and khard.
- Joined Ouvertura and Ochsenherz, two cropshare initiatives.
- Joined MILA, a cooperative supermarket initiative.
- Took part in an energy autarky workshop.
- Took part in a four day forest retreat.
- Took part in a family constelation therapy.
- Fasted for four full days.
- Started fermenting and sprouting foods.
- Improved guitar playing skills considerably.
- Learned how to solve a rubicks cube.
- Learned how to solder.
- Learned how to preserve foods.
- Read 25 books.
- Watched 36 movies.
- Obtained a PocketChip.
- Obtained a soldering iron.
- Obtained an old manual drill.
- Obtained old manual woodworking planes.
- Obtained and rebuilt a bike trailer.
- Obtained classic analog board games documented their rules.
- Obtained a reanimated bike.
- Co-created a new wallet.
- Obtained and sold two guitars.
- Visited and explored the Waldviertel around Ellends and Drosendorf
- Went to Istria for family vacation
- Went on a 4 day solo bike tour
- Went camping with friends and family in Reingers
- Visited the Lobau protest camps
- Things don't have to be painful to be valuable.
- Things don't have to be complex to be valuable.
- If there is an easy and a complicated way, it's okay to take the simple route sometimes.
- It is ok to like popular things. Elitism doesn't help anyone, least yourself.
- Learning how to feel an emotion is the first step. Learning how to let go of it the next.
- We all wear habitual masks constituting our behavior patterns. Truly taking them off is not only possible, but incredibly liberating. Being able to wear them deliberately is a skill you can learn.
review 2020Reviewing 2020.
2020 was a year of changed plans and reconsiderations. While the pandemic wasn't threatening us as much as others, it was a year of changes and challenges. Notable things that happened:
- Converted Broken Rules website and presskits to static sites
- Secured funding for new Broken Rules game
- Released nchrs.xyz
- Started building a personal knowledge database
- Migrated to Linux and FOSS
- Updated the Indie Fund website
- Sorted and updated my complete photo library, migrated from iCloud
- Reduced smart phone usage and dependency
- Ditched smartphone dependent online banking
- Released logbook
- Released chronicle
- Released relogen
- Converted an old sewing table into a work desk
- Restored a coffee grinder
- Built a forest shelter
- Carved a bow and made arrows
- Started building a small keyboard only workstation
- Cooked a lot of preserves
- Improved living situation by converting the appartment
- Got rid of a lot of things cluttering the apparment
- Made preparations and plans for building a house
- Reduced work hours
- Spent more time closer to nature
- Read more books
- Started mental health therapy
- Started physical therapy
- Started pair therapy
- Picked up playing the clarinette after 25 years
- Significantly improved guitar skills
- Kid started with school
- Spent a lot of time at home with the family
- Got a refurbished/reanimated bike
- Bought a lot more unpackaged groceries/decreased trash production
- Went fully vegetarian (instead of 90%)
- Spent a lot of time in the mountains
- Went to Italy
review 2019Reviewing 2019.
- Started programming a time tracker
- Conducted programming Experiments
- Joined Indie Fund
- Aquired plot of land
- Got married
- Traveled to denmark
- Celebreated 10 Years Broken Rules
- Tracked Daily Routine
- Visualised Time Spent
incoming(2) | now | review 2021