Rice for Maki or Onigiri.
Making sushi takes a bit of practise but is very satisfying and tasty.
- Put 250g of round grain white rice in large bowl and fill it with water.
- Wash the rice.
- Rinse and repeat until the water becomes less foggy.
- Rinse the water and put the rice in a pot.
- Add 330ml of water and close the lid.
- Heat the water until it boils, then let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take it off the stove and let the rice steep for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and let the rice cool off.
To make the marinade for Sushi rice, take a pot and add
- Three table spoons of rice vinegar
- Two table spoons of sugar
- One tea spoon of salt
Warm the marinade in the pot on low heat until the salt and sugar dissolve. Stir with a spoon.
Once the marinade has cooled off a bit, mix it spoon by spoon with the rice.
For Onigiri, leave out the marinade and mix the cooled rice with seasoning or fillings instead.