On conversing with others.
Three gates of speech
Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates:
wisdom on speaking with others.
"At the first gate, ask yourself, is it true.
At the second gate ask, is it necessary.
At the third gate ask, is it kind."
Three rules of consideration
- Everyone is good at something
- Everyone is enthusiastic about something
- Focus on the things someone is doing well.
Guidelines for conversations
- Make recuring eye contact.
- Ask more questions than you answer.
- Be brief and try not to repeat yourself.
- Speak clearly and appropriate the volume to your surrounding.
- Let others finish their sentences.
How to apologize
Quickly, specifically, sincerely.
Rule of Three
To get to the real reason, ask a person to go deeper than what they just said. Then again, and once more. The third time’s answer is close to the truth.
Is there more?
While listening to a person you love, keep asking "Is there more?" until there is no more.