Utilities to get things done
We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us...John M. Culkin, The Medium is the Message
This section covers the hardware that I use to build projects. Other items can be found in the inventory.
trabantThe daily driver
This computer is my daily driver for projects and communication. It is usually located in my workspace but is what I currently use when on the go as well. In the future I intend to keep this computer stationary and use rasputin for mobile work.
- Host: Lenovo ThinkPad P50, 15"
- RAM: 32 GB
- Processor: Intel Core i7 @ 8 x 2.7GHz
- Graphics: nVidia117 / Mesa Intel HD 530 (SKL GT2)
- Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
- Desktop Environment: Regolith
- Keyboard: EZ Planck
tabletA Wacom Cintiq 13HD I purchased second hand in 2015.
To use the tablet under Linux it needs to be configured using
xsetwacom. There are two bash scripts in place, one that takes care of configuring the screen and tablet buttons, another for toggling the mouse cursor mapping to a specific screen.
preonicThe OLKB Preonic
I use the OLKB Preonic v3, a 5x12 orthographic keyboard with Gateron Aliaz Silent MX mechanical switches and the Acute keycap set.
It runs the QMK firmware that allows custom key mapping. To do so, the firmware along the configuration file are compiled and flashed onto the keyboard.
To install QMK CLI run:
python3 -m pip install --user qmk
Then run the setup with:
qmk setup -H /path/to/qmk/
Set the default configuration by running
qmk config user.keyboard=preonic/rev3 user.keymap=rostiger
Use the online configuration tool to configure the mapping to your liking, name it
preonic/rev3/rostiger and download the .json file.
Convert the json data to C
qmk json2c path/preonic/rev3/rostiger.json
Copy the output to
keyboards/preonic/keymaps/rostiger/keymap.c and replace the keymaps array definition.
Use a pin to push the reset button on the underside of the PCB. This will put the keyboard in flash mode. It is not functional in this mode and musn't be unplugged.
Build the keymap layout and flash the keyboard by running
softwareUtilities to get things done
[$]: Financial expenses indicator
- qutebrowser - world wide web browser [$]
- vlc - video player
- Transmission - torrent client
- FileZilla - FTP client
- newsboat - RSS feed reader
- nnn - file browser [$]
- micro - text editor
- cmus - music player
- powerline shell - beautiful bash prompt generator
- pass - password manager
- lazygit - git client [$]
- rsync - file synchronisation tool
- stardict - dictionary
- imagemagick - image editor and converter
- relogen - Regolith theming script
- pywal - generates a color palette from the dominant colors in an image
- xclip - copy text to the clipboard
- neomutt - email client
- Signal - instant messenger
- Ripcord - slack client[$]
- khal - calendar
- Krita - a painting suite[$]
- Inkscape - vector graphics editor
- Darktable - raw file image editor
- blender - 3d suite
incoming(1) | workspace