We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us...John M. Culkin, The Medium is the Message
Select tools few and carefully based on values and beliefs: repair, reuse, recycle - see grinder, player, workspace or handdrill.
Guidelines for aquiring new items
Before you aquire any new item ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I really need it?
- What exact purpose will it serve?
- Is there an alternative I already own?
- How much better will it make whatever I intend to do with it in comparison to the alternative I already own?
- Can I make it myself?
- Is it reperable? Can I repair it myself when it breaks?
- Can I buy it pre-owned?
- What are the environmental implications (production, transport, usage, end-of-lifecycle)?
- What are the social implications (working conditions, political conditions, manufacturer ethics)?
General rules of thumb
- Most items have already been produced. Try to aquire pre-owned items as much as possible.
- Try to avoid items that you wouldn't burn in your own stove.
- Don't fill your inventory with items for ocasions that happen once per year. Plan for the other 255 days.
incoming(4) | camera | reading | beliefs | beliefs